[TYPO3-dev] Git question: working around Gerrit exceptionally?

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed May 14 20:11:42 CEST 2014

On 05/14/2014 06:18 PM, François Suter wrote:
> git branch -m master devlog-3_old
> git branch -m devlog-2_9 master

Can't you branch off current master to "devlog-3-experimental" or
something, then revert all changes in master that where done, down to
the common root of master and 2.x, then cherry-pick all changes you want
from 2_9 branch? This should end up with a clean master without history
rewriting. You may also squash those commits to one big change saying
"resetting master to current 2.9 state" or similar, if you do not want
to pollute history too much.

Be aware that history rewriting kills clones, we've had funny
discussions in this area when it came to the submodule removal stuff in
core ...

> Next I'm supposed to do
>
> git push -f origin master
>
> but this fails - of course - since pushed are supposed to go to Gerrit.
> Is it possible to bypass Gerrit for a case like this?

AFAIK, the core packaging script can push to git directly, but I'm not
100% sure about that. Olly should know details.

Regards
Christian