[TYPO3-dev] forge and github

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Mar 23 18:21:47 CET 2014

Hi Steffen, dear all,

> Of course, you're free to use Github instead of the official TYPO3
> infrastructure. Unfortunately, Redmine is not able to use remote git
> repositories (it can for SVN), so there is no way to include foreign repos.

I set up my own Redmine some time ago (so, yes, a recent version) and
actually you may have any repositories, you just have to mirror them
"locally" from any remote repo and then you may access it locally as any
other repo.

But the question of speed of having one's project on git.typo3.org is
not the only reason why people are moving away, Stefano pointed it out
as well, the way we want users to contribute is much more technical than
what GitHub is doing with forks and merge request. Everyone, please read
this [1] short summary of the difference between Gerrit and GitHub
workflows.

So there is no easy solution. The server team could let us have a git
repository from day 1 instead of creating a new project and asking to
convert it to git (which by the way, was always really quick to get for
my own repositories). But maybe the whole Gerrit workflow will then be
too complicated anyway for many developers so it won't help much.

As you may easily manage your extension on GitHub right now, if you
prefer, you should simply link to it by editing your extension key on
typo3.org and pointing to the external repository, so that your GitHub
(or Bitbucket, or Company, ...) repo is linked in TER. I'd say that if
you want to benefit from Forge, you should take the whole, including
Gerrit, I wouldn't see the big point of having to add some more
management job on TYPO3 server team's shoulders.

Kind regards

[1]
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/173262/gerrit-code-review-or-githubs-fork-and-pull-model

--