[TYPO3-dev] Contribution to community extensions

Jan Bartels j.bartels at arcor.de
Sat Aug 16 12:54:39 CEST 2014

Am 16.08.2014 um 10:15 schrieb Xavier Perseguers:
Xavier, thanks for opening this discussion.

> 1) Some extensions are using Git/Gerrit so that workflow is same as
> TYPO3 Core, from my point of view, this is cool because it prevents wild
> forks while keeping the same (known) workflow as when contributing to
> the Core but getting up to speed may be difficult for non-developers.
I was asked to migrate one of my extensions from SVN/Forge to Git a few
weeks ago. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with SVN. As I'm not a
core-dev I'm not aware of any advantages using Git/Gerrit and don't know
how it works at all.

> 2) Some extensions are still using Subversion (on Forge) and
> contributing with attached patches is old-fashioned but works if author
> is active and quick to answer/tackle the issue
That's my workflow.

> 3) Some extensions have no bug tracker, no actual contact, or are slow
> to provide feedback about new tickets that it's "no fun anymore"

3 a)  Some extensions have no bug tracker/version control system, but an
actual contact and are fast to provide feedback about new tickets.

> 4) Some extensions are now continuously developed on GitHub (or similar
> platforms) and authors are not really releasing anything anymore on TER,
> or - similar problem - the extension is forked many times and nobody
> (from the outside) can easily say which fork is "the best to take".
In a discussion on the German list (mainly with Philipp) I argued that
extensions don't exist at all if they aren't published on TER. I think
the value of a central repository can't be underestimated.

Jan