[TYPO3-dev] Contribution to community extensions

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sat Aug 16 10:38:28 CEST 2014

Hi,

> 4) Some extensions are now continuously developed on GitHub (or similar
> platforms) and authors are not really releasing anything anymore on TER,
> or - similar problem - the extension is forked many times and nobody
> (from the outside) can easily say which fork is "the best to take".

Some of my new extensions are now hosted on GitHub. I'd like to explain
the reason. The main one is that Forge still does not let me start a new
project and get a Git repository. It creates a SVN one that I need to
ask to convert to Git. Thanks to Bastian's prompt answer, I know this is
a matter of 1-2 days to get it converted after I asked but I don't feel
good asking someone to work for me where it should be automated during
registration. There is a pending task for the related team, it's just
not ready yet.

Second reason is that I wanted to test the "Edit me on GitHub" link you
may show on docs.typo3.org for your own extension manuals.

Personally, I totally dislike the GitHub bug tracker and I'm loving the
workflow with Gerrit because it feels more "professional" for me as a
developer than the pull request mechanism on GitHub or Bitbucket.

I really dislike getting a ticket open in one of my projects, asking for
feedback, more info, ... and getting nothing.

I really like seeing people I never heard of before, reporting bugs,
answering questions, providing patches, suggesting and implementing new
features, ... well, what I call "contributing".

These are my thoughts as an extension author on which platform I prefer
and why.

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member