[TYPO3-dev] /index.php on servers without symlinks

Jan Bartels j.bartels at arcor.de
Wed Aug 6 22:32:51 CEST 2014

Our managed server does not allow symlinks on files. Several years ago I
copied the index.php from typo3_src to the root-directory on every
update. A better approach is to use the following /index.php, as it
reflects changes in the typo3_src/index.php automatically:

<?php
require __DIR__ . '/typo3_src/index.php';
?>

This workaround runs at our installation without any problems since a
few years, but the install-tool of Typo3 6.2 complains that the
/index.php is not a symlink. Accordingly, the install-tool does not
allow core-updates.

I would really appreciate it if Typo3 and the install-tool would support
this alternative option to the symlink officially. If there are no
technical reasons against it I would file a feature-request on forge.

Jan