[TYPO3-dev] Rendering on docs.typo3.org

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sat Sep 14 23:30:01 CEST 2013

Hi,

I just automatically rendered Sphinx-based manuals from extensions
uploaded to TER in the last 45 days.

This is now running regularly for new uploads.

Martin started a few scripts in Python, Fabien kickstarted a Flow-based
app, but none of these ways were actually able to render Sphinx-based
documentation. Nobody to blame, it's just due to lack of time.

As in the mean time I largely rewrote the rendering internals for a few
special projects and official manuals, I could took over this task and
quickly come with some pragmatic PHP-based approach to automate the
rendering.

I created a repository with my work on github:
https://github.com/xperseguers/TYPO3.docs.ter-automation

This is raw but does what it should and can now serve as a base for a
cleaner "future-proof" Flow-based app.

What I did not do: properly render OOo-based manuals as it involves
multiple Python-based scripts which I never used myself and they are
still rendered on typo3.org anyway so this part will wait!

I hope you finally see your extension's manual properly rendered on
docs.typo3.org. If that's not the case, please ping me on Twitter.

I've seen that a few extensions seemed to fail to compile properly, most
probably because they never were compiled locally before. I invite you
to locally compile your manuals prior to any upload to TER using my
extension "sphinx" available in TER.

For anyone interested into testing the upcoming release of EXT:sphinx,
please do so by cloning the master branch from

git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3CMS/Extensions/sphinx.git

I've included quite some cool stuff but I will test them for some time
before releasing this new version 1.2.0.

Kind regards and happy documenting

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6