[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 cache -> Redis

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Tue Nov 26 22:07:26 CET 2013

Hi Robert,

Robert Wildling wrote:

> Any chance you could elaborate a bit on the security problem that would
> arise using both Redis and Varnish?

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I though you wanted to use varnish and redis on
the very same server. Technically, the redis server should be threaten like
a DB server and there must not be accessible from the internet and of course
must not share the same server as the varnish cache.

> From what I understand, Varnish is good for FE (only). But would Redis
> not also be a speed benefit for the BE?

Yes of course.

> On another site I read that for Redis phpRedis needs to be installed. So
> I assume a similar package would be needed for, let's say, MongoDB?

Most likely. You somehow need a "driver" the provides functions to set and
get values from your cache.
Although you could use generic stream functions to connect to most caches
and implement the binary protocol yourself, those extensions provide you
with a technical base that allows you to easily utilize those caches without
having to think about the protocol to much.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!