[TYPO3-dev] typo3-merged and tools.typo3.org

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu May 2 18:39:13 CEST 2013

Hi,

I proposed to the server team to host the well known "typo3-merged"
script [1] into some official infrastructure under the "typo3.org" domain.

The idea came up before, but I really want to get this done. So I
dropped a line to admin at typo3.org with the proposal, and Steffen G
promptly replied that he had this on his radar too, and suggested to
quickly discuss the idea in public. So here we are:

Probably also other little "nice developer tools" (i.e.
http://www.wwwision.de/githelper/) could share an official URL. We
always come back to this idea:

  http://tools.typo3.org/

The Merged into TYPO3 CMS script could have an URL like:

  http://tools.typo3.org/merged/typo3-cms/

(what currently is http://www.typo3-anbieter.de/typo3-merges/).

My suggestion (to the admin team) is that we create a very small virtual
machine for this purpose with straight Apache/PHP/MySQL. I would only
need "file upload" access to the above mentioned path. If we want to
generate the HTML files also on that machine, I would be glad to have
SSH access and some space for the checked out working copies of all
branches.

Since I have some server administration expertise, and could also work
my way into the managing the server and it's setup through Chef, I would
even offer myself to at least for the start take over the administrative
tasks on that instance.

I can imagine having a "tools.typo3.org" project on Forge to coordinate
this setup. And sub-teams for the individual tools. At least for the
"merged" script I don't need a team because I volunteer to keep
maintaining it on my own, but of course other guys are invited to join
(i.e. Mario, Wouter, Christian, ...).

I will be on the T3ACME this weekend in Nürnberg, and we probably will
meet IRL with Steffen G, so let's join forces to make this happen.

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://www.typo3-anbieter.de/typo3-merges/