[TYPO3-dev] esp - Back to Speed with stored procedures - going BETA today

Elmar t3elmar at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 28 09:21:53 CET 2013

In the CampRheinRhur 2012 there was a small workshop dealing a thrilling topic:

How to call stored procedures directly from TypoScript?

http://www.typo3camp-rheinruhr.de/t3crr-2012_sessionplan.html

I have the honour to announce that the implementation of this ideas is going to
BETA today as version 1.0.0.

What makes it different?

Classic extensions have a thick layer of PHP between TypoScript and PHP
implementing model, view and controller. Esp has only two layers:

* the model: mysql stored procedures
* the presentation: TypoScript

Both layers are glued with a single class of PHP: tx_esp_StoredProcedures

I think it is obviously, why this should hopefully result in speed:

1. speed of development
2. speed of execution

It's up to YOU to proof the theory by testing the features of the library.

If you query multiple tables as a JOIN, there is a second class to support
the rendering to a hierarchical HTML page: tx_esp_JoinRenderer.

Both classes are unit tested. There is full documentation in different
formats inside the extension, rendered from the original documentation
in Sphinx format.

TODO:

* debugging support:   apply debug() or print_r() inside the 2 classes on your own for now.

* TER: http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/esp
* github: https://github.com/t3elmar/esp

I recommend a view at the TypoScript reference to get a first idea:

https://github.com/t3elmar/esp/blob/master/Documentation/TypoScriptReference.rst

Although I think the extension is feature-complete,
you are invited to use github to contribute ideas, bugfix, maybe other renderers.

Regards

Elmar