[TYPO3-dev] Status of "devlog" extension

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Jun 2 15:26:27 CEST 2013

Hi Steffen,

> Hence the question (my memory of looking at the Logging code is fuzzy):
> is it possible to set up several Log configurations, so that
> "syslogging" could be done on one side and "devlogging" on another side,
> i.e. log entries in these two "contexts" don't get written to the same
> outputs (be it files, DB tables or whatever else). I can't imagine
> having these two targets mixed up together.

I second that and would like to even get 1 tiny step further:

- Define context based on "syslogging" + "devlogging" for different
outputs (e.g., file-sys.log and file-dev.log)
- Filter by extension/module, whatever is supported as parameter while
logging something. Example would be to write devlog info to some file
but only related to extension X, not everything else.

My little dream (it is allowed to dream, isn't it?) would be something
like that:

$whateverCentralLog->startContext('my-context');

// life of extension call

$whateverCentralLog->endContext('my-context');

and then configure the Logging API to log only what happens (as
developer log = DEBUG) within "my-context". This would let me have full
debugging information including in other extensions, within the time
frame of the life of 'my-context'.

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers