[TYPO3-dev] Status of "devlog" extension

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Jun 2 10:07:13 CEST 2013

Hi Steffen,

>> So here a first draft: https://github.com/Trenker/typo3.devlog.git

Georg, I haven't had time to look at that yet, but will do so soon. It's
great to see that you're really motivated.

> In short, we aim to a) create a future concept for core logging, b) ship
> good default configuration sets, c) replace log implementation from old
> methods with new API (incl. deprecating old log APIs like devlog) and d)
> create compatibility for the demands of input and output (be log module).
> We also thought of creating a BE module based on datatables like in
> ExtensionManager. Although this new module does not have highest
> priority, anyone is welcome to contribute.

Steffen, that's really good to hear about such goals. Indeed when I
started this very thread I was wondering about convergence between the
Logging API and what we had started doing with devlog a couple of years
ago, which was very similar (a central API with several writers).

What I was still really wondering about was about the aim. If the
Logging API was designed to replace the current "syslog" then it was
about logging events related to the "life" of the CMS. The "devlog" OTOH
is designed to log debugging information, which is generally quite
massive and not designed to be kept for a long time. Logging about the
system's life events and logging for debugging are two different "targets".

Hence the question (my memory of looking at the Logging code is fuzzy):
is it possible to set up several Log configurations, so that
"syslogging" could be done on one side and "devlogging" on another side,
i.e. log entries in these two "contexts" don't get written to the same
outputs (be it files, DB tables or whatever else). I can't imagine
having these two targets mixed up together.

As the official maintainer of devlog, this is a very important question
for me. If everything can be achieved by the Core in 6.2, I'm more than
happy to drop devlog. That would be one less extension to maintain ;-)
But I need to be sure that the Core can then fulfill my needs.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter