[TYPO3-dev] Uppercase directory names

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Jun 1 14:40:31 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 28-5-2013 8:44, Christian Weiske wrote:
> I've been wondering quite some time now why TYPO3 choose to use
> uppercase directory names, as in
>
>> $extname/Classes
>> $extname/Configuration
>> $extname/Resources/Private
>> $extname/Resources/Public

I think it started with Extbase that used class names like
Tx_ExtensionName_Foo_bar. The logic in the class loader expected this
class to live in extPath('extension_name') . 'Classes/Foo/bar.php'

Later (in 6.0) this was extended to namespaces.
Class names are upper camel case, functions and variables lower camel case.

> It makes autocompletion on the shell a much harder. Plus most
> directories on unix systems are lowercase, too.

Most unix file systems are case sensitive. Depending on which shell you
use there should be options to make autocomplete case insensitive (for
bash [1]).

[1]
http://askubuntu.com/questions/87061/can-i-make-tab-auto-completion-case-insensitive-in-the-terminal

--