[TYPO3-dev] Extension Manager UPDATE! function

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Jul 8 10:21:02 CEST 2013

Hey.

On 07/07/2013 10:04 PM, Stanislas Rolland wrote:
> Code inspection of
> TYPO3\CMS\Extensionmanager\Utility\UpdateScriptUtility and of
> TYPO3\CMS\Extensionmanager\ViewHelpers\UpdateScriptViewHelper, as well
> as testing, will reveal that this is not so, at least in TYPO3
> 6.1.2-dev. If an update script exists, the update icon will always be
> shown even if the access() function returns always FALSE.

Yeah. This can not be changed easily. The problem is that ext_update.php
has no interface and extensions are doing different things in there. The
access() method is not used as a "needs execution", but extensions
already do updates if access() is called. So, the extension manager can
not just execute access() in
the list view of the extension because it would then trigger the update
directly, which is not what we want. I think there are even extensions
without a class at all in ext_update scripts, so we can also not just
add an interface for this.
Therefore, the extension manager just shows the update button if the
script exists and then executes the access() method on click.

This area will probably get some new / additional API with 6.2, because
we need something for the package handling (introduction, ...) in 6.2.

Regards
Christian