[TYPO3-dev] git/gerrit and "Changelog"

Ernesto Baschny [cron] ernst at cron-it.de
Sat Jul 6 14:04:27 CEST 2013

Am 2013-07-05 14:29, schrieb Bernhard Kraft:

> I assume everybody who has used git/gerrit will have noticed that the
> "Changelog" file is a reason for breaking every review/patch.

Are you talking about the TYPO3 CMS Core? Because we don't update
ChangeLog there for every change, it is being build only by the Release
Script automatically from the git log.

> In the good'ol'days of the core list and SVN this was no problem. But
> nowadays when I just have to click a link to merge a patch it is
> questionable if this should get handled like before.
>
> There are two options each with its cons and pros.
>
> #1 Create some gerrit-server-side script which generates the Changelog
> entries automatically from the commit message first line.
> pro: easy commit of older patches/reviews
> con: someone has to create an appropriate script
>
> #2 Leave it as it is
> con: Its annoying to rebase every patch before merging
> pro: You HAVE TO rebase (and hopefully verify/review) every patch before
> merging if head has changed.

Maybe you are talking about another project and not TYPO3 CMS. Please
specify.

I think the workflow ot generating the ChangeLog only on "release time"
is the most easy one. If you have the problem in your own project, you
might even think if you need to maintain the "ChangeLog" in GIT anyway,
but instead only create it while "packaging" your stuff.

Regards,
Ernesto