[TYPO3-dev] 6.0 / deleting files the correct way

Christian Weiske christian.weiske at netresearch.de
Tue Jan 15 09:02:32 CET 2013

Hello,

TYPO3 6.0's file list module currently offers 2 ways to delete a file:

1. Use the context menu by clicking on the file icon and choosing
   "delete".
   This action removes the file from hard disk, but keeps the
   database record unchanged (it does not even mark it "deleted")
2. Click the edit icon and click the delete icon in the top bar then.
   This action sets the record to "deleted" and keeps the file on the
   harddisk.

Neither of them looks completely correct to me, but I think that #2 is
better because it allows to restore the file from trash. The only thing
missing is moving the file to the recycler, if there is one.

How should TYPO3 behave here?

Because of the different implementations, our patch that adds the
delete icon to the file list and implements #2 was rejected [1].

Also, our second patch that hides sys_file records marked as deleted
was rejected by Helmut Hummel. In my eyes, having a file record marked
as "deleted" is a valid case, and TYPO3 should support it by not
showing it in the normal file list view.

What do you think?

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/42294 Missing action button to delete
                                        a file
[2] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/43216 Deleted files are indicated in
                                        list

--
Regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Weiske

-= Geeking around in the name of science since 1982 =-