[TYPO3-dev] Your Input On: 6.x Extension Manager

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Tue Feb 12 09:52:12 CET 2013

Am 09.02.2013 04:27, schrieb Benjamin Mack:
> Hey everybody,
>
> as most of you (hopefully :)) played around with the new extension
> manager in 6.0, you might have noticed that it has a different feel to
> it: It is more focused on actually downloading and installing extensions
> instead of doing everything else that has been in that place for the
> last years:
>
 >   * Updating language files

as this got an own module it is fine for me to stop support in EM

>   * Uploading extensions
>   * Developer information about an extension
>   * Cleanup ext_emconf.php
>   * Creating a new extension (kickstarter)

as these are actions which belongs to developing it could be exported to
developing moduls. we have kickstarter, extension builder, extdeveval,
maybe we can create an own module group where extension like these can
be integrated.

>   * List of updated extensions

this is a big lack for me:
in the old EM you could get a list of all updateable extensions
INCLUDING all upload-comments (including intermediate versions [1]), so
you had all information in one view which extension are updateable the
easy way and which need further assistence or reconfiguration.

and so it belongs into the developer-module: at the moment of update it
was a very helpful information that an extension had modified files (and
which files got modified)!!

I would be happy if these information would be re-implemented.

[1] as unsecure versions were removed from TER, their comments were
missing and you can't say whether an update to a new secure version
would include changed behaviour

This view was a good base for documentation which updates an
installation got.

maybe we also can get an own log (history) about extension updates AND
the possibility to revert single updates in an easy way. maybe a backup
of old installed versions, as the TER does not hold localy modified
extensions ;-).

> So, as we want to improve this area for 6.1, I am eager to get your
> input on what should definitively get back in there (and why) and what
> should be placed somewhere else. I would also like to have your feedback
> on the UI parts, the things you like and the things you don't like.

the other thing I miss:
I want to know which changes are done if an extension is installed. so
please make the 'silent' installation configurable. read as: please give
me an option to configure that depending extensions are installed only
with my explicit permission, and the same for changes to the database.

> Please keep in mind that we really want to make this thing better than
> before. Answers like "Make it like it was in 4.0" won't get. This is our
> chance to make this tool easier and more useful than ever - as we have a
> great new and clean code base now.

as others said:
as more and more extensions are available only in GIT it would be nice
to import extensions not only from TER but also from GIT and other
sources. (Why should I store a copy of an extension on my computer, only
to upload it to the webserver?)

and is t3x still the best format for extensions?

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html