[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-ect] Announcing TER cleanup process

Adrien Crivelli adrien.crivelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:19:00 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm with you on that. Even without remote listing, git is flexible enough
for developers to have a private git server (github or whatever) and only
push from time to time to git.typo3.org to actually publish a version.
This alternative keep it (maybe) slightly easier for TYPO3 team and
flexible enough for developers.

Of course, it completely ignore SVN support. But, as I stated a few times
on this mailing list, I have a feeling that SVN should be dropped entirely
as soon as possible. And that nobody today would start a significant enough
extension without git knowledge.

It does indeed increase (slightly) the barrier for newcomers. But I really
don't see it as a problem, on the contrary this ensure a minimum
of technical knowledge before publishing extension and so, hopefully raise
the public extensions quality. If jQuery did it, I don't see why TYPO3
couldn't.

Anyway, I think there are several ways to improve the current workflow. But
first of all, we should decide if we want to improve it. I could help with
that, if we are moving toward a git-based solution (or composer ?)

Cheers,

PS: this is not the first time I have
"organisational/philosophical" discussion about TYPO3 ecosystem. But I feel
unheard/misunderstood/ignored. And I wonder if there is a way to suggest
new "feature/orientation" (in a very broad way) and to vote them. Or to
somehow find out what the community think and who will finally decide what.
Maybe some sort of polls ? or voted roadmap ? Basically, what is
decision-making process within TYPO3 ?