[TYPO3-dev] Including email addresses of reviewers in commits

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Mon Dec 30 19:15:16 CET 2013

Hi!

I'm very much for removing this (last) customisation as it does not
really improve anything.

On 30.12.13 17:33, Ernesto Baschny wrote:

> I personally have no problem with it, since my email is visible in so
> many places already.

Same here!

> But I see a difference to the commiter/author: The author/commiter are
> the ones that we might need to contact in case of some trouble (i.e.
> licensing, copyright, patent, etc...), while we will never need to
> contact the Reviewers and Testers. So there is no gain in having this
> information disclosed in the commit message.

The email address is pretty much discosed once participating on Gerrit
(like it is when participating on a mailing list or newsgroup).

Picking the example commit[1]
You can find the review URL in the commit message[2]

[1]https://git.typo3.org/Packages/TYPO3.CMS.git/commit/f8fdcea7949a5c71f6078f7dda76f08881f56c01
[2]https://review.typo3.org/25636

There you can click on *any* reviewer in the list to see the email
address. So "hiding" the email address from the commit message, at best
obfuscates the fact that the email address is disclosed on Gerrit.

> To make that clear to everyone using our infrastructure, we should add
> a disclaimer somewhere when registering on typo3.org (or when using
> Gerrit?).

It might not be as apparent like when participating on a mailing list,
but it is quite logical that your email address is disclosed when using
a tool which is based on git (which needs an email address as committer
identifier).

> Currently, when you "sign in" at typo3.org it will only display the
> register form in the popup, without any further information. After
> clicking around, you can find this page:
>
> http://typo3.org/my-account/sign-up/
>
> This text is too short, old and misleading ("Email addresses are
> always spam-protected, so don't worry about spam too much").

But of course adding hints about that fact in a prominent place like
this will not harm.

Kind regards,
Helmut

--