[TYPO3-dev] Including email addresses of reviewers in commits

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Dec 30 13:39:14 CET 2013

Hi all,

like since the beginning of our Gerrit history, we have a patch [1] in
our custom Gerrit build included that removes the email address of the
reviewers from the commits made by Gerrit (see e.g. in [2] the
Reviewed-By lines).

To my knowledge this was added (removed) because some people
complained that their email addresses are published in the commit
messages.

However, starting with Gerrit 2.8 (released ~2 months ago), we
wouldn't need custom Gerrit builds anymore, if we could also get rid
of this customization.

Thus I suggest do also drop this patch and just include the mail
addresses (like it is also done for the Author/Committer attributes).

Is there a majority that is NOT happy with including them?

Thanks for your feedback!

Kind regards
Steffen

P.S: I have no ETA for a Gerrit 2.8 upgrade, but want to have this
issue negotiated in advance. Gerrit 2.8 brings one major change with
what I'm personally not so happy with (the new Change Screen UI, which
is however optional). As they also switched the build system (from
Maven to Buck), this could be a good opportunity, if we don't need to
use the new build system at all.
- --
[1]
https://github.com/TYPO3-infrastructure/gerrit/commit/6f1df910e6ff169fc29642d19785683b3b866a3c