[TYPO3-dev] Deprecation strategy for BE viewhelpers

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Aug 5 10:07:12 CEST 2013

On 08/02/2013 09:26 PM, Frans Saris wrote:
> are the BE viewhelpers provided by the different core extensions part of
> the public api?

Imho, no.
You create a dependency to a foreign extension just because of a single
view helper this way. This is tight coupling for no good reason, we
shouldn't do this: The view helpers in extension manager, belog, beuser
and so on are dedicated to this extension only and can be changed at will.

If you find one of those view useful for your extension, then copy it to
your ext and have full control over it. At best, refactor / improve the
specific view helper and push it to ext:fluid so others can benefit from it.

View helpers in ext:fluid are public API, and thats exactly what
Francois did with his refactoring: He created a new one within ext:fluid
to comply with all needs from very similar viewhelpers in
extensionmanager, belog, beuser and so on, and deleted those within the
extension.

We should imho state somewhere: "Only view helpers in ext:fluid are
public API and are part of the usual deprecation strategy, view helpers
in other core extensions are not public API and can change without
further notice." Maybe we can also annotate the other extensions view
helpers with @internal to make this clear when reading the code.

Regards
Christian