[TYPO3-dev] Deprecation strategy for BE viewhelpers

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Aug 3 12:17:59 CEST 2013

Hi,

>> All other system extensions viewhelpers should not be considered API.
>
> Well, this convention has not been noted anywhere yet. The functions
> have the keyword "public".
> IMO deprecation is mandatory for all public functions in core without an
> explicit note about non-API.

It's true that this is not written clearly anywhere. However I think it
makes a lot of sense. If you consider the particular example being
discussed here, extension "extensionmanager" is not explicitly a
provider of view helpers. Hence relying on any of its view helper for
another extension is a risk, especially when the particular view helper
is actually a work around a TYPO3 Core limitation and thus a bad design
itself already (the Core view helper should have been enhanced instead).

The guideline I would derive from this case is that developers should be
more careful when introducing new view helpers and first check if they
can enhance existing ones (and I'm not saying this in vain as there is a
similar case to tackle in the new "documentation" extension on which I
worked).

Cheers

--

Francois Suter