[TYPO3-dev] Retrieving of extension list under TYPO3 6.0

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Apr 11 15:18:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

> This is not easily possible with PHP.
>
> The browser sends a request at the server which then runs the TYPO3 script.
> Once the script is done, it sends an answer to the browser.
> The only way to allow a progress bar is to output some bytes to the browser.
> However this makes it really hard to detect error conditions, because then
> the HTTP header have been send already which makes it impossible to change
> from 2xx to 5xx.
>
> HTTP is designed for a request-response communication model and not for
> bidirectional communication.

The problem described is not to have a progress bar for the part that
runs on the server but to know the state of the download, that is, how
many bytes have been received, and this can be easily done in PHP. Once
the file has been fully downloaded, we know how many operations
(unpacking, loading into DB) so a progress /could/ be implemented.

The question is more if it would make sense. Perhaps a "log" of what is
performed could be much more easily implemented and sufficient anyway:

Downloading extensions.tar.gz from http://typo3.org/ ... done.
Unpacking extensions.tar.gz ... done.
5999 extensions found.

Xavier Perseguers