[TYPO3-dev] Retrieving of extension list under TYPO3 6.0

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu Apr 11 14:15:24 CEST 2013

Hi Franz,

Franz Holzinger wrote:

>> How should it be then?
> There should be more informations than the rotating loading icon.
> I would like to see the percentage of the download process or the left
> time shown. This could be estimated by the total amount of bytes and the
> used time for the already transmitted bytes.
> Then I could be sure that no endless loop has been reached.
> It should not require that the user presses the refresh button.

This is not easily possible with PHP.

The browser sends a request at the server which then runs the TYPO3 script.
Once the script is done, it sends an answer to the browser.
The only way to allow a progress bar is to output some bytes to the browser.
However this makes it really hard to detect error conditions, because then
the HTTP header have been send already which makes it impossible to change
from 2xx to 5xx.

HTTP is designed for a request-response communication model and not for
bidirectional communication.

You can work around it with some hacks, but it makes the code rather
complicated.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!