[TYPO3-dev] Re: Getting started with Extbase/Fluid programming

Elmar Hinz t3elmar at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 8 12:18:33 CEST 2013

Quote: Mattias Nilsson wrote on Mon, 08 April 2013 11:09
> Hi Chris,
>
> First of all that is a really good step to get started with Extbase/Fluid :)

Your statement sounds like the believe in the golden hammer,
a well know antipattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hammer

Before starting with extbase, one should as oneself:

"Why do I need a fat ORM layer to solve my little task?"

After all an ORM layer is primarly a try to workaround the
object relational mismatch. If you don't have an object realtional mismatch
in your data model, than why  using the overhead of an ORM layer?

The answer is, that pi_base was worse as a solution, but not because of an
overhead, but rather of the wording and the poverty of the API.

That still is not a satisfying answer.

Fluid on the other hand was a clear concecpt in the beginning.
A template for the view, not more. Meanwhile people put that
much logic into it, that the separation of model and view is in danger.

The calculation of date should not be done in view helpers,
but before the data is given to the view.

Regards

Elmar