[TYPO3-dev] ReST documentation from extensions

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Apr 5 15:36:45 CEST 2013

Hi Xavier,

> We still don't have solution to read reST-based documentation from
> extensions within the Backend.

Indeed. The problem is actually even more pressing, because it prevents
us from migration system extension manuals to ReST. This is something
which we have already postponed for 6.0 and 6.1, but that I would really
like to see happen for 6.2.

> 1) Do nothing: ask the author to put a PDF or OOo as well

OO definitely not ideal, as we would like to drop usage of that format
entirely. I doubt that extension authors would appreciate going to the
extra trouble of generating a PDF.

> 2) Generate a PDF on TER while uploading the extension and "repackaging
> it" (don't like it but possible)

It's not ideal, but it's something I thought about already.

> 3) Show the online HTML version (won't work for Intranet disconnected
> from "the world")

"Disconnected" intranets have indeed been mentioned as an issue already
in the past.

> 4) Ask the author to provide a HTML version as well

Just as for providing a PDF version, that would probably not go down
well with extension authors.

> 5) Locally render the documentation

This is very unlikely. I could imagine that we could have some basic
rendering, but very unlikely that we could have all the existing
features of Sphinx.

I think that what we should really have is an extension which achieves
the following goals:

- fetch the manuals from docs.typo3.org, formats to be discussed (PDF is
really fine for offline perusal, HTML could be browsed directly from
within the TYPO3 BE).
- as a fallback, display ReST as a simple text file.

This extension would make it possible to fetch all manuals, in the
chosen formats. If all manuals are stored in a specific folder (to be
decided upon), it would be easy to perform the download on an
Internet-connected install and copy the stuff over to a "disconnected"
server.

The problem we (= the Documentation Team) are facing is the lack of
resource (as usual, but quite acute in this case). We are really only
3-4 people active at best, with a lot to do. I would very much like the
PDF rendering to be completed, for example, but there's absolutely no
one to tackle that. We don't even yet have a properly automated
rendering chain for manuals, we can't yet detect automatically if an
extension has OO- or ReST-based documentation, etc.

So it would be good if those who find this discussion interesting also
considered whether they can help or not, otherwise I'm afraid the topic
will stay strictly theoretical for a while more.

Note: this is not meant to kill the discussion or to make indirect
reproaches at anyone. Just a reality check ;-)

Cheers

--

Francois Suter