[TYPO3-dev] Git issues with dependencies

Thorsten Kahler thorsten.kahler at typo3.org
Thu May 31 14:36:30 CEST 2012

Hi Lorenz,

your process seems ok, but maybe not perfect. So I have a few hints for
you but I'm not sure they will solve your dependency problems.

Lorenz Ulrich schrieb am 29.05.12 17:00:
> [...]
>
> Maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I always stick to the same
> pattern:
>
> - "git checkout master" if I'm not on master anyway
> - "git pull" to ensure master is up-to-date.
> - "git checkout -b ISSUENUMBER" to create a dev branch for the issue I'm working on

Depending on the configuration of your Git repository this might not
always lead to the expected result - there's a chance of having
merge-commits after theses commands.

I'd suggest the following:
- git fetch origin # if your remote is named "origin" (default)
- git checkout -b ISSUENUMBER origin/master # if working on master, else
use the corresponding branch name

> - "git commit -a" to commit
> - "git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master" to push to Gerrit
This will not solve your problem but it will help other developers:
- git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master/ISSUENUMBER

This creates a topic branch in Gerrit. Topics are the way to keep the
same patch for different branches togeter.

Cheers,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kahler