[TYPO3-dev] Git issues with dependencies

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu May 31 14:16:13 CEST 2012

Lorenz Ulrich schrieb am 29.05.2012 17:00:

> I'm doing DAM development with the TYPO3 Git/Gerrit infrastructure. All
> that stuff works really well but there's something that puzzles me all
> the time: All my change requests in Gerrit have a dependency to the last
> change I pushed. This is no problem as long as these issues get merged
> before, but if they get merged after or even abandoned I need to rebase
> my changes before merging even if they don't touch the same files.
>
> Maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I always stick to the same
> pattern:
>
> - "git checkout master" if I'm not on master anyway
> - "git pull" to ensure master is up-to-date.
> - "git checkout -b ISSUENUMBER" to create a dev branch for the issue I'm
> working on
> - "git commit -a" to commit
> - "git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master" to push to Gerrit
>
> As I said, it's working, but I don't see where this dependency comes from.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Best regards,

The workflow mentioned above seems right.

Maybe you don't branch off from "master" in every situation? If you
branch off your last issue number, your new branch will contain this
commit also and thus create a dependency upon it.

So make sure you did the first step (git checkout master) *before* you
create the new branch (with git checkout -b ...).

Cheers,
Ernesto