[TYPO3-dev] Improving login security in TYPO3 (BE+FE)

Dave Sexton list-typo3 at jack.org.uk
Wed May 16 12:22:17 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 11:41 +0200, Kay Strobach wrote:
        > Hello Dave,
        >
        > as far as i know, this won't work with challenged
        passwords ...

        I thought the Google thing was a OTP generator, not a
        challenge-response?

        > Yubikey seems to use the same algorithm as google ;)

        .. In which case, what I suggested should work. With Yubi (and
        most
        other OTP generators), there is no two-way conversation between
        the
        authentication service and the token generator.

        Every time I press the button on the Yubikey, it generates a
        unique 44
        character string. That string includes an identifier for the
        token and
        the OTP itself. Those two bits of information are sent to the
        authentication server (which securely holds a copy of the
        'secret' [AES
        key] held within the Yubikey). The server then responds a
        success or
        failure.

        I have just seen the demo video on Google. It looks like a OTP
        generator
        with a 6 digit token.

        While it is much nicer to ask users for the token in a separate
        input
        box, it is far easier to implement as a combined entry in the
        password
        field. So if my Typo3 password were 'password' and '123456' was
        displayed on my phone, I would enter the following in to the
        password
        box :-

        password123456

        You know that the last six characters of the password field are
        the
        token, so you can separate them out and send the OTP to the
        google
        service and the password through the normal Typo3 auth service.

        Jack