[TYPO3-dev] Documentation migration to reStructured Text and extension authors

Kay Strobach typo3 at kay-strobach.de
Thu May 3 21:55:36 CEST 2012

Hello François,

i think the main problem is, that there is currently no guide for
extension authors.

So if you provide a guide how to convert the documentation, i assume,
that many extension authors would transform their documentation
relativly fast ;)

PS: sadly none of my extensions is in the list of the transformed ones ;)

Regards
Kay

Am 03.05.2012 21:45, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may be aware of the Documentation Team is working since several
> months on the migration of the TYPO3 documentation to reStructured Text
> (reST). If you missed the news, see [1] and [2].
>
> The first aim we had was to migrate the official documentation, but we
> were unsure about how to handle the migration for extension authors. We
> now have a promising method, which Martin Bless worked on. This will
> make it possible for extension authors to keep using OpenOffice files
> during a transition period and still have their manuals rendered along
> the rest of the documentation. sxw files will automatically be
> transformed to reST and then to HTML, with the following limitations:
>
> - some manuals make errors when being converted from OpenOffice.
> Currently there are a lot of errors, which don't really understand. We
> hope to improve the situation and have less manuals fail the conversion.
> - the rendering of transformed manual will not be as nice as if the
> manuals were written in reST to start with.
>
> You can check at the following URL what has been converted so far:
>
>> http://preview.docs.typo3.org/typo3/extensions/
>
> For more information, please refer to Martin's original mail in the
> documentation mailing list:
>
> http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-project-documentation/2012-May/003737.html
>

> Cheers

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!