[TYPO3-dev] Adaptation of stg_clearcache to core

Frank Gerards F.Gerards at esolut.de
Mon Jul 16 10:19:08 CEST 2012

Hi,

>Yes, I am :) I try to be as slim as possible in such cases. Even if the ext is inactive, it can cause problems. >For example, in the past some inactive extension were used for creating security issues. Therefore, the less >you have, the more secure you are. Also, the less you have, the less you have to update (saves you time and >money). Sometimes we have to release core because of issues in core sysexts. The less of them we have, the less >such cases we would have.

That is true and I agree from a programmers point. But, removing all possible sysext from the core means also loosing core features, which might be interesting to customers. Ofc you can tell them "TYPO3 can do this", but at least bigger companies tend to mistrust "features added by extensions", so I would be careful not to remove features from an enterprise CMS, which has feature-richness as one of its biggest assets. Don't forget decisions are not always made from only a rational point of view, but also from an intuitive or emotional one. And as far as this is concerned, "built-in" means a lot more safety then "added by extension", regardless of what the technical background is.

Just my 2 cents,
Frank