[TYPO3-dev] Adaptation of stg_clearcache to core

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 20:00:14 CEST 2012

Hi!

Philipp Gampe wrote:
> If you want a slime core, then start about dropping no essential stuff like:
> * linkvalidator
> * import/export
> * indexed search
> * BE news
> * task center
> * reports
> * configuration (the module)

If I could, I definitely would. May be I will keep reports and config
because they are important for troubleshooting. The rest is definitely not
needed in the core.

>> If you need an ext, just install it from TER. Or make a copy of the core
>> and put exts you use to typo3/ext. As far as I know, most big TYPO3
>> companies do that.
>
> That is not the point, is it?

Yes, it is. This is why it is the core. It is like a kernel: it comes naked
but you can also have additional stuff as drivers or kernel extensions. The
slimer the kernel, the better. Fat is always bad, regardless where it is.

> We should try to ship a core that is usable to the average integrator, not
> one that is a boilerplate for big companies customization.

That's right. But it does not mean we need to put there stuff you or me
thinks are useful for everybody because it is usable for you and me. You
and me and everybody else can get it from TER. That's the point of TER.

> That is my opinion and I know you are more a purist in this regard.

Yes, I am :) I try to be as slim as possible in such cases. Even if the ext
is inactive, it can cause problems. For example, in the past some inactive
extension were used for creating security issues. Therefore, the less you
have, the more secure you are. Also, the less you have, the less you have
to update (saves you time and money). Sometimes we have to release core
because of issues in core sysexts. The less of them we have, the less such
cases we would have.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team member