[TYPO3-dev] Database compare and database modification inconsistencies

Adrien Crivelli adrien.crivelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:37:08 CET 2012

Hi all,

This is something I already mentionned in Steffen's thread about the most
annoying TYPO3 bug:

The database compare and database modification have inconsistencies which
are quite confusing. It's quite easy to write an ext_tables.sql which will
be applied on database, but actually never show as "up do date" in
extension manager (so it seems it didn't apply). This is mostly because of
limitation around "NOT NULL" and "DEFAULT" values.

I dug in core code and found out that at least some part of the problem
is related to http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=2777 and its patch (see
http://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.gita=commit;h=5dcd656b37de6f5847f067f852d7a201d20e64d9
).

I would love to see my SQL actually been applied as I wrote it, and not
been silently modified on the fly (and thus create side-effect when showing
current status in EM). So I suggest to roughly revert the
previously mentioned patch and assert that the SQL executed is as close as
possible as what is read from ext_tables.sql.

I would be ready to work on that, as long as the core team agree on the
concept. So is there any reason not to do that ? And how could I guarantee
my change don't break everything (as it's quite a critical feature), is
there any tests procedure for that feature ?

Regards,

Adrien