[TYPO3-dev] Plan to migrate extensions from SVN to GIT ?

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Jan 2 12:28:06 CET 2012

Dear Adrien,

 > When you say "automation", what are you thinking about ?
yes, on the surface it's just a checkbox (or maybe two select boxes):
[X] Git  [ ] Subversion
and
[X] Review workflow (Gerrit)  [ ] direct access

Below the surface the whole processes of creating the Git repository in
Gerrit, setting up the access permissions there (reviews yes/no),
creating a clone on forge, etc. have to be implemented.
This has to be triggered through redmine, not through as being logged in
via SSH.

Peter Niederlag already told me that he wants to work on our Gerrit the
next few weeks. This means a) updating to latest Gerrit version 2.2.x,
which introduced a lot of changes (review data isn't in a database
anymore, but directly in the git repository). This already means lot of
adjustments to the script we currently have in use to create new git
repositories. Step b) would then be to give forge users the ability to
create and configure such git repos. As we finally moved forge last week
to a new server (which was the most challenging project in the Server
team this year), we are now finally at the point of time, when we can
start thinking about doing more improvements to forge. So I guess/hope
that a few interested people will start working the next weeks.

 > As for the server I thought git.typo3.org would be a nice choice to avoid
 > spreading resources (and freeze URL once and for all if extension
team want
 > to permanently move to git later on).
Okay, it sounds nice. Also the idea of keeping the URL. But I'm unsure
about putting another 500 - partly inactive projects - into Gerrit (but
we have to, if we use git.typo3.org).
I would say, if you want to set it up and maintain a mirror for all svn
repositories, we can provide you the resources (=server) and some help.
But be warned: All extensions are in one repository. For git we would
need one repository per extension.

Steffen