[TYPO3-dev] Experience from usergroup meeting about core development

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Mon Feb 13 19:21:05 CET 2012

Am 13.02.2012 18:44, schrieb Steffen Gebert:
> I think the idea came from Benni some time ago: Ask the Platinum + Gold
> sponsors, what features they are missing most in TYPO3. Taking this as a
> starting point, we could also ask the broad community for their votings.

+1

> Other than that, I hope that more developments happens in teams.
> One-man-shows turn out to fail or to get merged untested, because of
> nobody is able to review everything.

+0.5, see below

> I'm clearly against presenting a roadmap of the great features of the
> next version, from which maybe one or two are really implemented. I'm
> happy that we stopped this since 4.5 (?).

don't need to be big features. could be someting like "with 4-8 the core
team concentrates on an awesome logging" and the whole team works
together - everbody with his own knowledge like UI, performance, ...

I am not sure if those 2-3 teams hold longer than a oneman show?

> Instead, I would like to see more teams being formed, especially for
> bigger features. Present an idea at the devdays or a new-version-kickoff
> and ask for co-authors.

This asking is the problem I have. If there a goald everybody should
work on those and not just the ones which like that as personal taste.
This is still fine for all other features except the one from the
R&D-Team, platinum members, ...

> I'd say, it's not possible to make everybody
> focus on a single topic per release (and makes no sense IMHO),

why no sense? Of course 100 lines of code don't need 10 people but if it
is a bit bigger, how fast is something like that finished if you throw
all this knowledge in one room? How many bugfixes/unit tests can be
written in one day for one single feature? I would love to have those
100% features which can be integrated and just work out of the box.

> And for the general "feeling responsible" thing: I really hope that Ben
> has his suggestions for "Team rules" finished until the DevDays. I think
> that's really overdue, to have some guide lines, how an official TYPO3
> team has to operate (frequent meetings, public protocols, regular team
> reports (2-4x per year), etc.).

+ a big one

Georg