[TYPO3-dev] Experience from usergroup meeting about core development

Frank Gerards F.Gerards at esolut.de
Mon Feb 13 09:53:46 CET 2012

Hi,

I share your impression mostly and I add, that communication of core-team development lacks a bit of transparency.

For myself I would like less features, but stable maintenance by the core-team dedicated to a feature.

I also think, that due to the FLOW3 and Phoenix development, the vision of TYPO3 v4 has gradually blurred and
that tends to affect team-spirit here and there.

I think the Developer Days are a very good event to get momentum on important subjects of core-development again
and I hope there can be like a voteable wishlist or sth for TYPO3 users, that don't have the know-how or time
to code features TYPO3 is missing for practical enterprise use. Each voted feature could then be added as a task
to a core-team or a new team could be built up, if enough devs are interested.

Finally, I tend to see the future of TYPO3 like this:

TYPO3 v4 will continue to be developed after Phoenix comes up, but will be more focused on the "KMU" segment
than on really big enterprise sites. These sites will be developed with the OO-toolset of Phoenix (and FLOW3).
The success of Phoenix for the average TYPO3 Integrator/developer will depend mainly on Typoscript and good
tutorials on the plugin development. Only few devs will take full advantage of DI or AOP as the majority of
integrators or devs esp. for small and mid-sized TYPO3 projects will continue thinking procedural or Typoscript-driven.

Regards,
Frank