[TYPO3-dev] Slow BE-Performance in 4.5 - doubled system calls?

Roland Hager roland.hager at tu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 18 19:02:28 CET 2012

Hi List,

We are just updating from TYPO3 4.4.15 to 4.5.22 now - yes I know we're
somewhat late but let's not discuss about that now :-)

The problem is a quite poor BE performance. We already implemented the
common performance "boosts" as:

	- using mod_deflate
	- using mod_expires
	- using APC as php accelerator
	- deactivating extensions we do not need
	- checked that php real_path_cache is used.

But not with a satisfying result. The FE is just fine. Just the BE makes
us worry.

To get some numbers I compared one action in both v4.4 and v4.5 BE. Both
instances are on the same webfarm using the same mysql server. The 4.5
instance is using an fresh dump from the 4.4 instance.
Now I'm using the List module (extended options enabled) clicking the
same page in the pagetree. Corresponding to the developer tools from
Firefox and Chrome the loading time was:

  4.4 => ~0.5s
  4.5 => ~2.5s

This IS a noticeable difference! And it's not even the slowest page. The
page I tested has 24 subpages and 1 CE.

First I thought: Did we forget something? But no, the configuration is
the same in 4.4 and 4.5.

So I straced the php process serving the request to get additional
information on potential bottle necks. We use fcgid so this is quite easy.

In 4.4 the request resulted in ....
#####################################
   a total of 2180 calls
	485 Read
	273 Write
	601 stat
	157 fstat

   "grep SELECT" got 255 hits.

In 4.5 the request resulted in ...
###################################
   a total of 5002 calls
	960 read
	506 write
	428 lstat
	546 fstat

   "grep SELECT" got 491 hits

For me it seems that the number of calls doubled and especially the
number of MySQL queries. At that point I'm quite sure that we do not
have a configuration problem.

Can someone confirm that the number of database queries has increased
that dramatically for the same action? Is this normal or could there be
a bug | unnecessary loop | missing reuse of DB results? Does someone has
a look on things like "number of db requests per BE-action" beside
functional tests?

And last but not least ...
I like the new BE, it looks good, it is quite intuitive also for editor
veterans BUT it is getting slower! We have to deal with about 65.000 of
active pages and about 3500 editors all in a single TYPO3 instance. I'm
already frightened about customer calls after upgrading. I guess telling
them ".. yeah it is slower but now you got more time to enjoy the fresh
new look!" will not calm them down.

Any help is appreciated. If someone needs/wants more details, let me know.

best regards
Roland Hager