[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 and default filesystem rights

Oliver Salzburg oliver.salzburg at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 5 14:07:19 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-05 13:36, Robert Wildling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work on my local developing enviroment (MAMP) and otherwise mostly on
> allinkl, definately on some Unix enviroment, I never had to do anything
> with TYPO3 on IIS (Windows). Usually, all the needed permissions are
> either 755 and 777 for folders, never anything else.
>
> TYPO3 ships with a standard of 755 for all folders. Subsequently the
> respective folder permissions have to be changed to 777. I guess I am
> not the only one ...
>
> The question I have is, what is the reason why TYPO3 won't ship with the
> required 777-permission?
>
> This is not meant in anyway as a critique or so. The question came up
> when checking the CMS Pimcore, which after download and unpack already
> has the required permissions applied.
>
> I just would like to understand.
>
> Thank you!
> Robert

777 isn't required and complete nonsense.
If 775 isn't working for you, then you simply are using the wrong
user/group combination for your installation.

Btw, UNIX access rights (and how to adjust them) for your installation
are well explained in the INSTALL.TXT file that comes with TYPO3.

Cheers
Oliver