[TYPO3-dev] GIT rebase question with submodules

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Fri Sep 16 09:53:24 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 16.09.2011 09:07, schrieb Stefan Geith:
> Hi GITies ;)
[...]
> Besides some conflicts with my personal changes, I always have problems
> with the submodules.

What kind of problems?
Do you have "private" patches in the submodules as well?
Do you patch submodules on master branch or in detached head(dont do this!)?
Do you commit/upadte the submodule in the superproject?

I'd suggest to NOT update the submodule pointers in the superproject and
rebase all submodules as you are doing the superproject.

Something like the following lines work for me without any problems:

# update to clean state
git submodule update --init

# update master with private patches
git submodule foreach git checkout master
git submodule foreach git pull --rebase

Greets and hth,
Peter
--