[TYPO3-dev] Ending usage of the Pending Documentation page

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Oct 24 12:33:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

this might sound like a good idea in an "ideal world", but it makes the
maintenance of the documentation much more complicated. We hardly have
manpower to do it in the current way, and the work done by Francois in
reorganizing it takes the "real live" situation on how we deal with it
into consideration.

To my understandings, these are the factors that would speak against
your proposal:

- branching and timing of official documentation and release would have
to be tied together. Currently this is definitively not going to be
possible (due to manpower)

- it's not the core team that updates the documentation, it's the
documentation team. Meaning that technically it has to be a different
repository with different permissions and team members

- we don't want to "pollute" the core issue tracker with yet another
Category just for updating the documentation

- we don't really update all official documentation on *every* releases:
we just don't have that much manpower! So having for example the
"Getting started" document in all Core branches makes it appear that we
have them up-to-date while it is not so.

- ... fill more reasons here ...

And at the end, I don't see any reasons not to have one repository per
documentation, and having them branches independent of the core, however
it makes sense to that specific documentation. That doesn't mean that we
won't have a TSref for every Core release, but they are released
independently of the Core.

Cheers,
Ernesto