[TYPO3-dev] Experience with mountpoints

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Oct 13 10:25:15 CEST 2011

Peter Niederlag schrieb am 13.10.2011 09:24:

> Anyone using mountpoints out there?
> Are there any known pitfalls around?
>
> Did anyone succeed in implementing nested mountpoints?
>
> In a project we have several domains with several (rather small)
> page-trees. However the pages/navigation-tree needs to be mounted/shown
> in several different pages. Mount-points would be a smart
> "out-of-the-box" solution but seem to break, when they are nested.

Several of our customers use mount points in bigger installations. Also
nested mount points work fine, but tend to get difficult for an editor
to "understand" when there is a problem. What exactly "breaks" for you?

HMENUs work very well with this and so does RealURL.

Some random aspects that I can recall could be tricky:

- We usually want the content from the first mounted page also on the
destination page, thus we want to enable "Show content from mounted page
(instead of from this page)". But this has the drawback of completely
replacing the page and also its title with the mounted page (also for in
the HMENU navigation), and usually the page has a different TITLE than
the mount page. So the editor has to use the "Show content from page XY"
and choose the same mount point page again. Which has other drawbacks
(can't recall which ones exactly).

- its not possible for an editor to link to a subpage of a mount-point
(because they are not available in the page tree). So it would be cool
to have an option to display the "mounted sub-pages" in the browse_links
so that editors can create links to these sub-pages directly.

- there are extensions that try to use the page tree but don't consider
mount points. Especially annoying are extensions that provide
alternative "sitemaps" where this happens (was the case with
dropdown_sitemap some years ago, don't know what's the current state of it).

- there are caveats when using indexed_search and you change the mount
point "somehow". You might end up with bogus entries in the index
(directing to URLs which then print out "MP var was corrupted"). Has
happened before and you need to re-crawl your site completely to avoid this.

Cheers,
Ernesto