[TYPO3-dev] Removal of "checkbox" configuration from input type?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 16 13:11:13 CET 2011

Hi,

On 16-3-2011 12:26, Christian Zenker wrote:
> Short version: Was the configuration "checkbox" thought to be removed
> from the configuration of input-types in TYPO3 4.5 or should it still work?

AFAIK the option is not functional any more. All input boxes have a
clear button inside the box when they contain any input and all
date/time fields have a calendar popup.

> But I'm uncertain if I should file a bug report and a patch, because bug
> report #17680 (http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17680) states that the
> checkbox configuration was obsolete since TYPO3 4.5. On the other hand,
> TYPO3 4.5 was designed to be backwards compatible and I would not see
> why such a rather simple feature would have been removed without a
> proper substitution.

Every 'major' version (version 5 is reserved for TYPO3 Phoenix, so 4.4,
4.5, etc. are 'major' versions in the 4 line) is as much as possible
backwards compatible. There are always some changes which can lead to
problems and inconsistencies.

The checkbox was really bad from a usability point of view. Most people
didn't understand it at all and of the ones who knew that you could
'uncheck' it to clear the field hardly anybody knew that 'checking' the
field would fill the input box with the value defined with that option.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.