[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

Georg Ringer mail at ringerge.org
Tue Jul 26 09:23:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 26.07.2011 09:13, schrieb Xavier Perseguers:
> Hi,
>
>> I just wanted to post two simple numbers anybody interested in real
>> numbers instead of feelings could have found out long before:
>>
>> July 2010, 01. - 26.: Number of commits (to trunk): 87
>> July 2011, 01. - 26.: Number of commits (to master): 136
>
> We should compare same "TYPO3 periods", meaning N weeks before feature
> freeze (and this was somehow in November) :-)

I thought that too

> - Yes! It decreased productivity at first. This cannot be prevented when
> you move from one well-known system to another

absolutly

> - Git is not easy to learn, I agree, and you have to use it regularly or
> otherwise for a longer period to get accustomed to it

I still doubt that it is hard to learn to contribute. There are below 10
commands.

Please don't forget: We are web developers. Every 6month, there are new
things and not only tools like git but also new things concerning JS,
HTML, CSS, usability, PHP ...

it would be like "no don't introduce namespaces" - we have done it since
10 years and there is no need for something like that. Same for OOP,
same for AOP, same for gradients in CSS3 ....

> - The v5 team paved the way and helped us not start from the beginning
> with those new tools

and again a huge thanks for that!

> - Decrease of activity is related to the release of 4.5 as well. A HUGE
> work has been done on this release because of the long term support,
> people wanted to relax a bit, it's more than fine!

yes

> We certainly can still enhance the documentation and make it easier for
> new comers or those disliking the black color of a prompt (make it white
> instead? joking!) but in the end we may have to face that GUI such as
> PhpStorm simply cannot handle our Git specialty, namely Gerrit. We could
> prepare some helper tools... or better explain how to use a prompt for
> those common operations.

more documentation is always good! IMO the tools will get better but it
not mainly the task of TYPO3 to improve phpstorm - I don't even use it ;)

Georg