[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Jul 26 09:13:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I just wanted to post two simple numbers anybody interested in real
> numbers instead of feelings could have found out long before:
>
> July 2010, 01. - 26.: Number of commits (to trunk): 87
> July 2011, 01. - 26.: Number of commits (to master): 136

We should compare same "TYPO3 periods", meaning N weeks before feature
freeze (and this was somehow in November) :-)

But anyway, I'd like to give my impression on the Git/Gerrit move:

- Yes! It decreased productivity at first. This cannot be prevented when
you move from one well-known system to another
- Git is not easy to learn, I agree, and you have to use it regularly or
otherwise for a longer period to get accustomed to it

But:

- The v5 team paved the way and helped us not start from the beginning
with those new tools
- Decrease of activity is related to the release of 4.5 as well. A HUGE
work has been done on this release because of the long term support,
people wanted to relax a bit, it's more than fine!

> Getting used to git/gerrit, it seems:
>
> 	Commits to master
> April	65
> May	37
> June	87
> July	136 (and counting)

That's the point! Since alpha2-alpha3, most developers show that they
are now confident with the new workflow.

It took time and I had myself to rethink my review workflow, the scripts
and tools I may have used in the past but in the end, I like very much
this new technology. Yes, I'm a command-line fan and as such it
certainly helps and I did not encounter problems with GUI because even
when using SVN, I'm still more confident and quicker with some commands
in a prompt than with click-wizards.

We certainly can still enhance the documentation and make it easier for
new comers or those disliking the black color of a prompt (make it white
instead? joking!) but in the end we may have to face that GUI such as
PhpStorm simply cannot handle our Git specialty, namely Gerrit. We could
prepare some helper tools... or better explain how to use a prompt for
those common operations.

Thanks!

--
Xavier Perseguers