[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

Georg Ringer mail at ringerge.org
Mon Jul 25 08:10:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 22.07.2011 15:10, schrieb JoH asenau:
> Just a wild guess, but could it be that the decrease of particpiants is
> not due to routine, but just the contrary: Missing routine with the new
> git/gerrit-concept, which is at least overly complicated to set up
> compared to the "old school" SVN, people are used to?

but on the other hand it is more used to new people who got their
projects e.g. at github.

Of course I agree that it is more complex on the other hand but now also
far easier to test a review. This was always *very* hard in old days
when there were conflicts (which was there most of the time when patches
where a bit older)

> There are lots of people - especially the windows users - including
> myself, who didn't manage to enable their system yet to do a simple push
> from PHP-storm onto the review system. So for these people it doesn't
> make much sense to participate in a bug day.

I am using windows too and using command line is IMO the best and was
very easy to set up.

> Until march it was possible to do a simple DIFF, send it to the core
> list and have lots of people test it easily.

i loved the mailinglists but it was also very hard to have an overview:
what got enough votes, where are new patchsets and you also could never
compare diffs which each other.

It is now far easier to review a patchset v13

> So maybe we should
> revitalize at least the core list activities, so that people can still
> contribute, while others will take care of pushing the stuff to the new
> review system.

revitalize for discussing would be nice. so for each review a new thread
starts but IMO nobodoy got the extra time to get patches svn style into
gerrit.

> In the end this might motivate people to participate in the bug days again.

I don't know if bug days have something to do with git/gerrit?

Georg