[TYPO3-dev] The future of Bug Days

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 23 12:45:03 CEST 2011

On 22-7-2011 17:47, François Suter wrote:
>> Might be, but those who have the routine already are much more
>> productive.
>
> Remarks duly noted, but please don't side-track the Bug Day thread.

The thread was about ideas for the future of Bug Days (or alternatives).
Part of finding ideas is to analyse the reasons why the current concept
is not working any more.

> The move to Git/Gerrit is definitely not the only reason the Bug Day
> attendance has dropped.

It doesn't need to be the only reason, but let's assume that it is one
of the reasons and maybe a major reason. We've already seen that the
overall activity in development has dropped and in this light it is not
surprising that Bug Day attendance has dropped too.
During a Bug Day you need a certain minimum, a critical mass, of
attendance to keep the day going. If a person joins the IRC channel and
only a few people are there and hardly any response comes to the
questions someone asks, the result is often that that person leaves
after a short period. If there was more activity at that time it would
be more likely that that person would stay and test/fix a few bugs.

> If you want to discuss the Git/Gerrit problems, please open a
> separate  thread.

There are already numerous threads which try to touch this problem.
Unfortunately there are no real answers given there. I can't blame the
git fans, they already have it the way they want it to be, so why should
they spend any time defending this choice?

It is hard to find a causation between the choice for git/gerrit and the
decrease in activity, but the two events started at the same moment.

Some thoughts about the Bug Days will go in a reply to the original post.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.