[TYPO3-dev] Any good examples of automatic/programatic page generation?

Kevin Mitchell kevin at infielddesign.com
Sat Jul 23 01:58:38 CEST 2011

Hi all!

I'm working on a project that will require me parsing, processing,
comparing, and otherwise doing a lot of data manipulation, before
automatically generating a large number of pages in TYPO3. To process this
data I'm writing an import script (not really connected with TYPO3) which
will handle the majority of the heavy lifting, but I then need to get the
final out and build pages out of it. The content of the page will more then
likely be a html content element (it will not be editable, it's static
data). There will be three levels of pages needed to be generated. Once my
script is done processing the import data (but before I have generated the
TYPO3 pages) I imagine I'll have a custom table that looks something like
(most likely with a number of other fields with metadata, etc):

object_id
parent_object_id
page_title
page_content (not all pages will have content, some will just be menu items
containing sub pages, but essentially when there is a page with content it
will need to be stuck in a html content element in tt_content)

In the TYPO3 page tree, these will be represented as:

Category 1
--Subcategory a
-----Page w/ Content I
-----Page w/ Content II
-----...
--Subcategory b
------...
--...
Category 2

Now I'll likely need to do several passes on this to actually process the
data, match up TYPO3 page IDs with the custom object_ids that I've
generated, etc, but that's beyond the scope of this email and I can handle
that. The issue is figuring out the best method to generate these pages and
sub pages programmatically, via a cron job which will run nightly. Ideally
I'll also kick off some sort of crawler to cache the pages that have been
updated to help with site performance.

Any tips or ideas, or code snippets/examples? I've searched around on the
various english TYPO3 resources but haven't had much luck!

Thanks for your help and time!
Kev