[TYPO3-dev] linkvalidator's memory footprint

Christian Lerrahn typo3 at penpal4u.net
Fri Jul 22 08:31:39 CEST 2011

Hi,
I've been trying to run linkvalidator via a cron job on a mid-sized
site and found that I always run out of memory. The box only has 1G of
RAM but that is more than sufficient for the proxied setup it runs in.
Unfortunately, this is by far not enough for linkvalidator. Even
without a memory limit, linkvalidator will consume all RAM and sawp
(about 1.5G total) and then get killed because it runs out of memory.

The reason I find this worrying is because the site isn't that large.
I'd estimate that it has only a few hundred pages (never counted
though) and maybe 5-10 times as many content elements. Extrapolating to
larger sites, you might need ridiculous RAM size to run linkvalidator
on a larger website.

Why does linkvalidator use up that much RAM? Does it possibly hold
stuff in memory where there is no need to?

Cheers,
Christian