[TYPO3-dev] New version scheme for system extensions

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Dec 16 18:09:00 CET 2011

Hi,

in my (personal) opinion I prefer to stick to version numbers which
makes sense for each individual extension. I see no reason to just "keep
rising" version number of extensions on every patch level release even
if nothing changed. Even between minor updates (4.5 -> 4.6), if there
has been no changes in a particular sysext, why upgrade their version?

I have seen site integrators comparing sysext version numbers after an
TYPO3 upgrade just to see if something "changed" (i.e. felogin
extension). So they have also a good use as "stand alone" numbers.

Extbase stands a bit in a different light because it provides an API and
features which other extensions heavily rely on, and there is relevant
documentation, tutorials etc refering to it. And there is an active team
working on it and there are in fact new features on every TYPO3 release
(which does not happen to most other sysext). It might be confusing (and
redundant) to always point to the Extbase PLUS the TYPO3 release name
(as I have suggested, which at the current phase seems the best compromise).

So +1 to do it for Extbase (and Fluid as a consequence) but -1 for doing
it on *every* sysext (or even to "automate" this version increasing on
release time), because it gives site integrators false impression of
"major changes".

But then you have to stick on updating the version number on every patch
level release (even if nothing changed), because it would be even more
confusing of having e.g. Extbase 4.6.1 shipped in TYPO3 4.6.9.

Cheers,
Ernesto