[TYPO3-dev] New version scheme for system extensions

Patrick Lobacher plobacher at n-o-g.de
Fri Dec 16 10:06:41 CET 2011

Hi everybody,

started with a little confusion about the version names for Extbase (1.4
is included in TYPO3 4.6, 1.3 in TYPO3 4.5 LTS, ...) we have discussed
[1] that it could be very transparent for everybody to have system
extension version names which reflect the corresponding TYPO3 version.
Each of the system extensions are tested with a specific TYPO3 version
so they belong together.

In the recent version of TYPO3 4.6.0 I discovered a lot of different
versions there, e.g.: 1.0.0 (Import/Export), 1.1.0 (File > List), 1.2.0
(System Reports), and so on ...  but a few extensions versioned with
4.6.0 (Extension Manager, Workspaces Management, Versioning Management,
TYPO3 Skin). This is really confusing for everyone - including me ;-)

So my suggestion is as follows:

- Renaming of the version of *all* system extensions to the TYPO3
version - beginning at 4.7.0
- Increasing of the version every time a new version of TYPO3 will be
released even if there is no change to the extension itself

What do you think?
Patrick

[1]
http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-project-typo3v4mvc/2011-December/011070.html