[TYPO3-dev] Workspace trouble in TYPO3 4.5

Christian Lerrahn typo3 at penpal4u.net
Fri Aug 12 20:22:58 CEST 2011

Hi
On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 03:06:53 +1000
Christian Lerrahn <typo3 at penpal4u.net> wrote:
> I think I might have demystified this problem. It seems that the
> Workspaces module eats up a lot of memory. So, while the BE and FE run
> fine with the memory I'd allocated to PHP, I needed to increase the
> memory to get the workspaces to work at all times (they did work
> erratically). As my PHP install had not been logging errors before, I
> couldn't tell what was happening until I started playing around with
> settings.

I might have got a ahead of myself there a bit. :( As it turns out,
everything only worked for a little bit and then the same problem
re-occurred. In fact, even raising the memory limit further did not
make any difference. :(

I've now had a look at the traffic and found that the server really
sends incomplete replies. The JSON reply has a content length which is
longer than what is sent (I found one reply to be about 800 bytes when
it was supposed to be about 1300 bytes). Several of these are all cut
off at the same point reading

... t3-icon-x-content-text","icon_Workspace":"t3-i

There is often even another reply on the same connection which has the
same problem, i.e. the next HTTP response follows directly after the cut
off part. Obviously, these arrays are incomplete and thus useless which
is probably why I see a connection error.

The problem I have is even with really extensive logging, I can't find
anything in TYPO3 log, Apache logs, MySQL logs, syslog (includes PHP) or
kernel logs. There is just no trace of anything going wrong.

The time outs are set to 900s to eliminate them as a reason.

The load sometimes goes up beyond 1 when testing. However, even when it
doesn't this still happens.

Oh, and I have had this problem with the same site on different servers
running different OSs.

Any suggestions what might be happening here? Who is the culprit? TYPO3?
Apache? PHP? How do I debug this?

Why is the content length correct but the content cut off?

Cheers,
Christian